An emerging body of literature explores mobile learning in teacher education contexts. A common theme is the facilitation of collaborative, authentic professional learning experiences, often leveraged by the immediate and spontaneous nature of learning in informal settings. This paper takes a snapshot of current developments with mobile learning in teacher education. It draws on analysis of data from a study investigating mobile learning approaches in this context, with a particular focus on pre-service Maths teachers’ professional
development. The study was developed as part of our institution’s activities in the national Teaching Teachers for the Future (TTF) project.
Geometry Pad is a dynamic geometry application for iPad. With the Geometry Pad you can create fundamental geometric shapes, explore and change their properties and calculate metrics. The shapes are displayed on a scrollable and zoomable workbook with a rectangular coordinate system.
The following tools are built into the application:
- Move and scale. Scroll the workbook by your finger. Pinch and zoom the content of your workbook. Move and modify shapes.
- Point. Plot a point on the workbook. Customize point name and color.
- Line. Create a line. Customize line style, color and start/end points. Calculate line length (distance between points).
- Midpoint for lines. Show/hide midpoint for lines and polygon sides. Snap to midpoints.
- Parallel, perpendicular and tangent lines. The lines can be created as easily as regular lines. Just create and move the line until it automatically snaps to parallel, perpendicular or tangent.
- Angle. Create an angle with up to 1 degree precision. Customize angle line style and color.
- Triangle. Create a triangle of one of the predefined types: regular, right triangle, isosceles, equilateral. Customize sides style and color. Calculate triangle perimeter and area. Calculate inner angles of the triangle and length of its sides.
- Triangle lines. Create altitude, bisector and median lines in a triangle. Calculate length of triangle lines. Customize lines style and color.
- Quadrilateral. Create a quadrilateral of one of the predefined types: regular, square, rectangle, parallelogram, rhombus. Customize sides style and color. Calculate quadrilateral perimeter and area. Calculate inner angles of the quadrilateral and length of its sides.
- Circle. Create a circle. Calculate circle perimeter and area. Easily create circles inscribed into a triangle by placing circle's center close enough to the incenter of a triangle.
- Circle radius and chord. Create radius and chord lines for a circle. Customize lines style and color. Calculate the length of the lines.
- Polygons and regular polygons.
- Arcs and circular sectors.
- Text annotations. Create floating and pinned single and multiple lines text annotations. Customize text/background color and transparency.
- Measurements tool. Measure shape properties in single touch. Measure intersection points (line & line, line & circle). Use multitouch to measure distance between points and angle between lines.
- Transformation tools: rotation, reflection, enlargement and translation.
- Manual input of coordinates, lengths and angles. Use manual input to precisely locate points, setup custom length for a line or a polygon side, and change angle value.
- Built-in calculator: basic arithmetic functions, square root, sin, cos, tan.
Manage multiple workbooks at the same time using Save and Load features. In addition, you can share documents through e-mail or Dropbox.
Some of the tasks you can solve with Geometry Pad:
- Create geometric shapes and measure all its possible metrics like length, angle, area, perimeter, intersections, distance between points, angles between lines.
- Move/resize geometric shapes and watch how its metrics are changing in real time.
- Demonstrate circle theorems by creating and changing inscribed and center angles.
- Demonstrate theorems about incircles and excircles locations.
- Create and annotate complex geometric figures. Share them through export to image and e-mail features.
I am a ICT/social media for teaching and learning activist, teacher trainer, maths enthusiast (taught maths for many years) and compulsive obsessive lifelong learner working hard to make the world a better connected place....
I am currently working on a mobile roll-out research project looking at how we can use mobile technologies to improve teaching and learning in rural contexts.